Data in this Document may be freely used by Non-Commercial entities
The first record of Snethen Chapel is found in an original deed. On March 28, 1840, Jesse Bradley granted, for the sum of five dollars, to Levin Wright, Joseph Wright, Benjamin Gravenor, John Taylor, and William Taylor, as trustees, a lot of ground consisting of one-half acre called "Anon". On this plot of land the chapel was built, with most of the work being done by Joseph and Levin Wright. A letter dated June 29, 1840, written by Rev. L. A. Collins to Rev. J. S. Reece speaks of the dedication of the chapel on June 28th and it being named Snethen Chapel in respect to Nicholas Snethen, who was a great leader in reform and first president of the Maryland Methodist Protestant Conference, 1828. Rev. Collins, of Sussex Circuit, was the first pastor of Snethen Chapel. On January 11, 1942, the Snethen Chapel was completely destroyed by fire.